Wednesday, October 03, 2012

31 Days of Healthy Eating - Superfoods



The Forever Young Diet and Lifestyle gives a couple of overlapping lists of what are often called superfoods. First there is the "polymeal" described in 2004 article in the British Medical Journal. Eating the foods listed below daily (the polymeal) was calculated to reduce the risk of heart disease by 76% and to significantly increase life expectancy:

  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Fish
  • Garlic
  • Dark chocolate
  • Almonds
  • A glass of wine

The conclusion of the article was that "following the Polymeal promises to be an effective, no pharmacological, safe, and tasty means to increase life expectancy and reduce heart disease across the population".

The second list is of the top twelve antioxidant foods and drinks:

  • Berries
  • Beans
  • Green tea
  • Prunes
  • Greens
  • Brightly coloured fruits and vegetables
  • Red wine
  • Olive oil
  • Dark chocolate
  • Onions and garlic
  • Soy products
  • Nuts

I don't eat everything on these lists - I'm not a huge fan of prunes, for example - but a lot of these foods feature regularly in my diet. And yes, that includes chocolate and wine!  More about that over the next couple of days...

2 comments:

Linds said...

Excellent. I am a great fan of dark chocolate. red wine too. I even like prunes. Maybe I will live forever! Maybe I should buy the book.

Rani said...

Hi,

I just finished creating an infographic that I think is a good fit for your readers on The Bookworm.

It's called "7 Superfoods That Help You Live Longer." You can see it here.

I wanted to get in touch because while researching, I read the post you wrote about Superfoods, 31 Days of Healthy Eating - Superfoods, so I wanted to get in touch to see if you'd like to use my infographic, too.

I put HTML code that you can copy and paste below the image to make it easy to put on your site. If you'd like a different size, please let me know and I'll make it for you.

Thank you!

~ Melanie