Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hadrian's Wall

On our trip up north last weekend we made it as far as Hadrian's Wall.


By the time I got to the top, I needed to sit down. The Romans built on hills to make it harder for the Scots. And for future tourists.


This road from Birdoswald runs beside the wall. As you can see, when the Romans wanted to build a wall from A to B, they went in a very straight line. From west to east:


And east to west:


A little further along this stretch we picked up two hikers who were trying to cram the Hadrian's Wall  east to west coast walk into four days. By the time they reached this point they were hitching as one of them had hurt her ankle. We spotted her limping and were able to save them seven miles by dropping them at the campsite they were aiming for.

I had never visited Hadrian's Wall before, which means I get to check off another World Heritage site for my Day Zero Project list (I'm aiming to visit seven, and along with the two in Budapest that gives me three so far).

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is so neat K!

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

I remember standing at the Wall and asking my aunt if the Picts (say it with a hard C sound) were the first Picts (say it with a soft C sound). Hahaha! I cracked myself up and still do, I'm afraid!