Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Corner View: Music

I was going to take photos of Sunday afternoon music at the bandstand in the central town park, a weekly treat during the summer. Unfortunately we didn't make it last Sunday, so I am going to make do with this old photo of the local brass band instead. Angel (a younger, smaller version) is in the back row of the cornets, but all you can see is the top of her head. It was taken on a typically dull English day with my old camera so is on the dark side.

Brass bands are popular in the UK, and are very much community based - often with whole families involved. Ours celebrated its 75th anniversary last year, and still has sons, daughters and grandsons of the founder members among the band.


Visit Jane at Spain Daily for more music pictures from around the world.

Next week's theme ... food staples.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

I love local brass bands! It's one of my favorite memories of England - the bandstand in the park and the local band turning out at the village fete.

Lisa said...

Sunday afternoon at the bandstand sounds lovely. When I visit my grandparents in the summer we attend the bandstand concerts as well. It is so much fun!

lisa :)

jane said...

what a great tradition:) besos!

;) said...

Place à la musique, tout simplement !!! I like your picture !!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy brass bands too. We watched the school brass band, it was excellent. Amazing that ones so young can play so well. Chatterbox is in the school wind band as she plays the clarinet. She's getting quite good too.