Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1911 Census

Every now and then I dabble in genealogy. My mother at one time did a lot of research into both her own family and my father's. I am trying to fill in gaps, and also to find out more about Tevye's family.

In the UK censuses are held every ten years and the returns are made public after 100 years. The last census to be made available (for 1901) was the first to be accessible online, which is a boon to genealogists. Now ... ta da! ... the 1911 census has been released early and can be found here. Some counties are still being transcribed and a few pieces of sensitive information will not be available until the official release date of 2011, but there is plenty there for any one interested in British genealogy to get their teeth into.

I bought some credits, dug around for a while, and have made a few interesting discoveries. More to come later, I hope, when the the returns for North Yorkshire are available. I'm planning to share what I have found in some genealogical posts over the next week or two.

4 comments:

Serenata said...

I did a lot of research on my grandmothers side of the family when I first came to the UK. I am hoping to continue that work this year.

Will interesting to read what you have found.

Frabjous Days said...

...although apparently there are lots of transcription errors. Shame, because it's such an exciting project.

The Bookworm said...

There are. I found three transcription errors just among my relatives. It took some creative searching to find a couple of the people I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

Geneology is an old, old hobby of mine. Haven't had the time in recent...years...but someday I'll get back to it! Especially tracing my ENGLISH roots :-)