Saturday, October 25, 2008

Book Finds

A couple of nice out of print books I picked up on Thursday ...

Beatrix Potter's Countryside Book ... a nice little nature study guide. There are suggested activities for each season, accompanied by Beatrix Potter's illustrations - some from her books, others from her own nature studies.

The Radium Woman by Eleanor Doorly ... a biography of Marie Curie for children. I have seen this (and her other two scientific biographies, The Insect Man and The Microbe Man) before, but not at an affordable price. I have a history of France by the same author which is a gem - more on that in my next bookshelf post.

When I went to pay, it turned out that Oxfam were having a "five for five pounds" sale on children's books, so for an extra pound I added Lambs' Tales from Shakespeare" (which I have a sneaky feeling I may already have!), Monkey Puzzle for Little Cherub, and a children's cookbook.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I am seriously coveting your Beatrix Potter nature book! I've never seen or heard of it before!

The Bookworm said...

Neither had I. It is only a small book and the activities are not particularly original - I have all or most of them in other books - but it is nice to have them linked to BP and to have some of her naturalist's illustrations. I love making that kind of discovery.