Thursday, June 05, 2008

Stone Soup (Flip Up Fairy Tales) Stone Soup by Jess Stockham

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars

Little Cherub has a "thing" about stones, so I hunted at the library for books with a stone theme. Stone Soup is a well known story, but one I somehow managed to miss with the older girls. I think in the original tale the travellers who ask for food and are refused are soldiers, but in this young child's version the characters are all animals. The text is rather run-of-the-mill and the story a bit wordy for Cherub, but the lift-the-flap pictures are a big attraction and help to retain her interest until the end. Not a book I am tempted to buy, as once the appeal of the flaps wears off I doubt we would read it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was one of my favorite stories as a child. Not that version, of course, but the one with the soldiers. I always wanted to try making a batch of stone soup and see if it turned out as delicious as I imagined!