Thursday, September 06, 2007

High School Memories

As school is the topic of the moment this meme seemed appropriate ...

1. Who was your best friend? Stephanie

2. Did you play any sports? Several, but none well. I was not enthusiastic enough to be a regular member of any school teams, though did play occasionally as a stop gap. My favourite sports were tennis, volleyball, swimming, netball and athletics (I couldn't run for toffee, but I liked throwing the javelin).

3. What kind of car did you drive? You have to be 17 to get a driver's licence here, but for the last few months of my school career I drove my dad's Austin Maxi. An old workhorse of a car that made all sorts of ominous sounding noises which in fact were just normal Maxi clunks, creaks and whistles. It stalled a lot.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you? At home in bed. Home. Not school. This is noteworthy as it was a boarding school - I was a weekly boarder and only went home for weekends.

5. Were you a party animal? No. Never have been.

6. Were you considered a flirt? It was an all girls school.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? Yes. Orchestra, playing viola. I think I also sang in the choir for a while.

8. Were you a nerd? No. More nuisance than nerd.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? Almost. Not for any specific misdemeanour, but for general insubordination and disruptive behaviour. Fortunately the school tolerated me long enough for me to turn into a fairly normal member of society.

10. Can you sing the fight song? We didn't have one. I don't even remember having a school song, though I think there must have been one.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Miss North, who taught history and kindled my enthusiasm for the past. One of those truly gifted teachers who love their subject and are able to transmit that to their pupils.

12. What was your school mascot? We didn't have one.

13. Did you go to the Prom? There was no such thing in those days, though proms are becoming popular here now.

14. If you could go back, would you? Not a chance!

15. What do you remember most about graduation? Absolutely nothing as we didn't have any formal graduation ceremony. I do remember a girl in the year above us misbehaving spectacularly during the final school assembly for her year, but as this is a family blog discretion prevents me being more specific!

16. Where were you on Senior Ditch Day? What????

17. Did you have a job your senior year? No, but I spent the following summer assembling electric plug sockets and parts for TV aerials.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? School cafeteria. No choice.

19. Have you gained weight since then? Er ... yes. Enough said!

20. What did you do after graduation? Whatever it was it was so unspectacular I have absolutely no memory of it.

21. What year did you graduate? 1978

22. Did you attend any of your reunions? No. So far as I know our year have never had a reunion. I do keep in touch with two old school friends.

HT: Catherine at Living Life to the Fullest

Anyone else want to play?

No comments: