Sunday, August 12, 2007

Geography picture books

I am on a roll ... more library finds, this time with geographical themes. I am on a mission to find books that will bring the world alive to Little Cherub once she grows into them. I used many of the books from these series with Star, and intend to use them again with Little Cherub. I discovered that Barefoot Books publish a number of books set around the world, including these by Laurie Krebs:

We're Riding on a Caravan: An Adventure on the Silk Road
We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey Through Tanzania
We're Sailing to Galapagos: A Week on the Pacific
We're Sailing Down the Nile: A Journey Through Egypt
Off We Go to Mexico: An Adventure in the Sun

I saw the first two, which looked lovely - good illustrations, simple rhyming text, and some extra background information at the end.

The Barefoot Books catalogue includes a number of other appealing titles, like these:
My Granny Went to Market: A Round-the-World Counting Rhyme by Stella Blackman
Catch that Goat: A Market Day in Nigeria by Polly Alakija
Tenzin's Deer: A Tibetan Tale by Barbara Soros
Elephant Dance: A Journey to India by Theresa Heine

Ack! That wishlist!

2 comments:

SuzanneG said...

Kathryn:
Barefoot Books had a booth at a neighborhood carnival that we attended last weekend. I wanted to stay there for an HOUR and read through all those beautiful books! I saw a couple of the ones you mentioned and I was browsing through the catalogue a couple days ago, marking the ones I wanted to see if the LIbrary has them, so I can drool and add to "the girls" (grin) wishlist!

Wow! That was a LONG comment! Who knew I could write that much about books I haven't even read yet! LOL!

Frabjous Days said...

Thanks for doing my homework for me!