Monday, October 30, 2006

A sticky situation

Over the weekend I spotted a deliciously ludicrous story in the newspaper ... a pasta factory at Great Yarmouth in Norfolk (East Coast of England) suffered a mishap. Something went wrong with the air pressure in a silo, blasting 2 tonnes of semolina over the town, where the inhabitants woke to find everything covered in a white "frosting". The point at which things went truly pear shaped was when some bright spark on the clean-up team decided the best plan would be to wash it away. Unfortunately they forgot one simple equation: semolina + water = pudding. (For those of you on the other side of the Pond, I think the translation of semolina pudding is cream of wheat.) Great Yarmouth found itself wallowing under a slippery glaze of pudding. Pavements had to be closed off; cyclists slithered off bikes; cars skidded. Pudding went down the drains. There were concerns that it was heading for the sewage works. Yikes!

Roald Dahl would have had a field day. Forget Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? How about Sebastian and the Semolina Sludge?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my I find the idea of cream of wheat smeared all over everything positively nauseating!

Eeewwww!

Poor things!

Blessings,

Faith

Alice Gunther said...

This story makes me think of that sticky dough in "The Pie and the Patty Pan," not to mention "Jolly Snow."

What a mess!

The Bookworm said...

Faith - I think it's one of those love / hate things. I must admit I love it, which probably makes me feel more positive about the idea of semolina-frosting!

Alice - there is another story which is nagging at my brain, where everything is submerged under porridge. Hmmm ... can't remember! It is going to bug me now!

Theresa said...

That is hilarious! I can't think of the story, either, but I know it reminds me of something!

The Bookworm said...

Oh my! I hadn't thought about allergies ... I was thinking of it as a messy but harmless mishap. Strega Nona? How about Old Befana and her broom to clean up the mess?

Anonymous said...

Sebastian and the Semolina Sludge - LOL!!!